The Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) programs expose undergraduate students to research, with the goal of encouraging students to pursue graduate studies leading to research careers. Previous students have been able to link their USRA to a co-op work term; please contact the Science Co-op office for more information on this possibility. If you are assigned to a project and would like to link the USRA to a co-op work term, please check first with your supervisor. USRA research assistants are expected to satisfy the co-op requirements independently, without imposing additional work on the supervisors.
Science students have access to two programs, the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) USRA program and the SFU Vice President, Research (VPR) USRA program. NSERC USRAs are restricted to Canadian citizens and permanent residents; VPR USRAs are open to international students. Canadian citizens and permanent residents should apply to the NSERC program only. For more information, please see the SFU Dean of Graduate Studies USRA website.
The Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science is hoping to appoint students during the Summer of 2019. Please check back Spring 2019 (January) for list of projects.
If you are interested in applying, please follow the procedure below:
Note: We thank all applicants for their interest but request that they refrain from contacting supervisors. Supervisors will contact applicants selected for an interview in due course.
Canadian citizens and permanent residents should apply for the NSERC USRA only; please do not apply for the VPR USRA. If you are eligible for the NSERC USRA:
- Go online at the NSERC site: www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/UG-PC/USRA- BRPC_eng.asp.
- Please submit the following: printed NSERC Form 202 (Part I) with your NSERC Online Reference #, attach an up to date unofficial transcript (not an advising transcript). This must be submitted to the Grad Secretary in the Department of Statstics & Actuarial Science Room SC K10547 by TBD, 2019.
- Selected students will be notified by the department. These students must verify applications online by TBD, 2019. Note that this includes uploading transcripts and having a supervisor start Form 202 Part II.
If you are only eligible for the VPR USRA:
- Go to www.sfu.ca/dean-gradstudies/awards/undergraduate-awards/sciences-awards.html and complete the student portion of the application form. In the section on Award Information, filling in the proposed supervisor is optional.
- Once you have completed the student portion, print it and attach an up to date unofficial transcript (not an advising transcript). This must be submitted to the Grad Secretary in the Department of Statistics & Actuarial Science Room SC K10547 by TBD, 2019
- Selected students will be notified by the project Supervisors.
- Supervisors will fill out the 'Supervisor Information' and 'Research Project' sections of the form.
|Alternatives to Gaussian Processes for Model Calibration||D. Bingham||R.Groenewald||1184||NSERC|
|Microbiome Research||L. Wang||Y.Gu||1184||NSERC|
|Improving the Hosmer-Lemeshow Goodness-of-Fit Test||T. Loughin||N. Surjanovic||1184||NSERC|
|Dealing with Statistical Challenges in Analysis of SFU-FLIP Study Data||J. Hu||P. Wei||1184||NSERC|
|Genotype Imputation for Statistical Analysis of Alzheimer's Disease||J. Graham||S. Liu||1184||VPR|
|LDheatmap code enhancements||B. McNeney||M. Reyers||1184||VPR|
|LDheatmap documentation revamp||B. McNeney||X. Yang||1184||VPR|
|Effect of Air Pollution on Public Health||J. Cao||B. Hind||1184||Big Key Data|