The Statistical Consulting Service (SCS) is a unit within the Statistics Group at Simon Fraser University. The SCS was formed in 1980, to promote more effective links between academic statisticians and applied researchers.
- To provide expert statistical advice to individuals involved in data-based research projects.
- To promote links between the statistical education program at SFU and individuals involved in data-based research.
- To improve the quality of both data-based research and the teaching of graduate students in statistics.
- The SCS has ready access to a variety of modern computing facilities and software.
- The SCS has a full-time Director, who is a qualified statistical consultant.
- All statistical faculty in the Department of Statistics & Actuarial Science at SFU contribute to the SCS; their combined experience includes a full spectrum of statistical application areas as well as a broad coverage of statistical techniques.
- SCS staff have contacts to other university resources that can be arranged on a contractual basis.
What can we do for you?
- Design of experiments or surveys.
- Sample size determination.
- Suggest software for statistical analysis.
- Advise on graphical data summaries.
- Suggest inferential techniques when appropriate.
- Assess study protocols in grant applications.
- Advise on quality assurance and reliability methods.
- Offer short courses.
Examples Of completed projects
- Modeling the distribution of pulp fibre length.
- Study of ventilation in humans during exercise.
- Effects of mild anesthesia on the thermoregulatory response during cold exposure in humans.
- Career profile of women scientists in B.C.
- Parental decision-making for student recruitment into early French immersion.
- Sediment discharge regimes of B.C. rivers.
- Comparison of diets for salmon nutrition.
- Mark-recapture method of estimating size of a criminal population from police records.
- Analysis of DNA damage in bladder cells.
What does it cost?
Unfortunately, the service receives no subsidies from the University, Faculty, or Department and must operate on a full cost-recovery basis.
Task assessment, advice and minor assistance are free; work resulting in co-authorship is also usually free. Major assistance is charged at competitive rates. For more detailed information on costs, call (778) 782-4670.
For more information on our service, please call us at (778) 782-4670, or by e-mails at firstname.lastname@example.org,
or contact us by snail-mail at:
Statistical Consulting Service
Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6